An estimated 3.2 million Australians participate in non-playing roles in the sport and active recreation sector each year. Over 90% of these participants (3 million) are volunteers.
Volunteers contribute to the social and economic value of sport, especially at the community level. Many sports and sporting organisations would not be able to run without volunteers who fill many critical roles, including officials and committee members.
BESC has a strong history in the community and a dedicated volunteer support base in existing and previous members. Volunteering can take many shapes in our Club and include:
- During long course time trials (Wednesday afternoon in summer) – Marshalling; timekeeping.
- On our multi-day event days – Setting up/packing down; catering; providing meals/gifts; marshalling; timekeeping; announcing; officials.
- During district, country and state meets – timekeeping; marshalling; officials.
- Club committee member – various roles come up for nomination each year.
- Mentioning our sponsorship goals to your favourite shop, supplier or community group.
- Assisting with applying for grants (or even just advising our sponsorship officer they are available)
We are a friendly supportive club and will guide any new starters in each role. On event day we will sometimes roster families on, however we can always negotiate a more suitable role or time if required. We also welcome passionate members of the community to volunteer at the club or at events. You don’t need to be a caregiver, guardian or parent – you can be a sibling, relative, friend or swimming enthusiast. However, to volunteer at our Club you must have a provide a valid Working With Children’s Check and provide to the club to witness.
I have found volunteering at the club to be very fulfilling and rewarding. I have been able to meet new people and learn new things, as well as bring my own experience into the role.